Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Breastfeeding should be a mother's choice - Opinion (Daily Kent Stater)

I wasn't like most teenage mothers.

I did not want to give my daughter formula. I wanted to make sure I provided Jaelah with the best nutrition possible, which just so happened to come from my body.

For me, it was a luxury to not have to get up in the middle of the night to make a bottle; however, I did not breastfeed because of my benefits.

Studies show that breastfed babies are healthier than formula-fed babies. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, infants that are breastfed have lower rates of medical problems such as ear infections, allergies and rashes, compared to infants who are not.

A couple of weeks ago, a local radio station had listeners call in to voice their opinions about breastfeeding in public. KOMO/4 commentator Ken Schram compared breastfeeding to public urination. His network counterpart, Barbara Walters, shared the same view and commented that breastfeeding made her "queasy."

And they're not alone.


click to read more...

No comments: