Monday, September 19, 2005

Public breastfeeding, what's the big deal? (OnMilwaukee.com)

Public breastfeeding is legal in Wisconsin.

I had to remind myself this last winter while nursing my son at Bayshore Mall and enduring the disgusted looks of a mall security guard. Although he didn't say anything, his message was loud and clear: feeding my son outside the confines of a bathroom stall was indecent.

I wanted to ask him if he ever eats in public, and if so, why my son shouldn't be allowed the same opportunity?

Breastfeeding is not just for crunchy "Earth Mother" types anymore. Educated women know that human milk is a living, changing fluid that continually adapts to the needs of the developing infant and cannot be duplicated.

"My husband asked me to breastfeed in a bedroom during a family gathering once. I was livid. I needed adult interaction more than anything during the first few months post-partum," says Margaret Luck, the mother of a three-year-old daughter.



click to read more...

No comments: