Friday, September 09, 2005

Kenney-Marshall: The breast vs. bottle debate continues

I had lunch with friends who are at different stages of mother development. I know most of us think about child development when we have kids, but I continue to develop and learn, as do all mothers, right along with our kids. Two of my friends brought along their babies, 10 month old Grace and 13 month old Luke. I remembered when my babies were their age. They depended on me for everything and survived despite it.

We got to talking about important mothering issues, and though the topic of cloth vs. disposable diapers provided some mild entertainment for the three of us who are out of that stage, the real story of the afternoon became one of the breast vs. the bottle debate that apparently has heated up even more than when I had babies.

Pregnant with my first child, I didn't give the idea much thought until the day my male boss asked me if I was going to bottle feed or starve my child. Today we would call that harassment, back then it was a "joke," albeit unfunny to me. This is yet another way the world has changed for the better. No one would dare say that to a woman today.



click to read more....

No comments: