Tuesday, September 20, 2005

LACTOSE-INTOLERANT (Philadelphia Daily News )

THE OTHER DAY, I was counseling a client on her legal options when, without pausing to ask if I minded, she lifted her blouse and began to breast-feed her infant daughter.

Taken aback and not wanting to interrupt the child's meal, I guided the consultation to a swift conclusion.

There would have been no problem had the client asked if she could excuse herself and take the child to our bathroom or to a vacant office. What irritated me was the assumption that her right to nurse the infant trumped any obligation on her part to be courteous and ask, "Do you mind?"

I would never presume to tell someone what they could do in their bed, in their bathtub or at their dinner table. But what I expect and demand is that people not force their own militant preferences on me in public places.

I actually started this piece at least three times, searching for an inoffensive way to say it.

There was the sensible, statistic-driven approach that emphasized the overwhelming health benefits of breast milk. Too safe, I decided.

There was the acknowledgment that nursing was a unique form of love, representing the eternal bond between mother and child. Too cliched, I thought.

There was even an attempt at humor, as in "I really need to get this off my chest." (Who was it that told me puns were the indication of a deficient mind?)

But the only way to say it is boldly and without apology, girding myself for the onslaught of criticism from the La Leche activists:

Women shouldn't breast-feed wherever they choose.


click to read more....


Ms. Flowers should be ashamed of herself - she goes on to compare breastfeeding to uriniation, and suggests that an appropriate place for infants to eat is in the bathroom. By the way, if you're having trouble accessing this article - visit www.bugmenot.com for login information. ~ Ali/HLI

1 comment:

Ali said...

Whoops - I posted this yesterday, but in my other blog by mistake.

Anyway, I wrote my letter to the editor:

I was dismayed to read Christine Flowers' (aptly-titled) piece, "Lactose Intolerant," in which she suggested that nursing mothers feed their infants in the bathroom and compared breastfeeding to urination. I am saddened that Ms. Flowers finds the natural act of feeding one's child offensive. Her words demonstrate a deep cultural disturbance in our society.

Why is it acceptable to use breasts to sell tires, sunscreen lotion, sneakers and more, but offensive to use them for their intended purpose? Why on earth is the act of nourishing a child so upsetting to people like Ms. Flowers? Does she ask bottle feeding mothers to retreat to the toilet when their infants are hungry?

Failing a sudden attack of compassion and common sense on Attorney Flowers' part, perhaps someone should remind her of City of Philadelphia City Ordinance 9-1105, which states that it is illegal to "prohibit a breastfeeding mother from or segregate a breastfeeding mother within any public accommodation where she would otherwise be authorized to be." It is because of people like Ms. Flowers that such legislation is necessary. Now *that's* sad.