Sunday, September 24, 2006

Readers speak out about breastfeeding (TheNewsTribune.com)

We asked our readers to share their thoughts about breastfeeding in public. Here are their responses.

I breast-fed both of my children until they self-weaned – around a year old.

When I had my first child, I knew breastfeeding was the best start I could possibly give him, but I never thought I'd have the guts to nurse in public. I soon found out how silly and inconvenient that notion would be. Within weeks I was sitting in the middle of the Lobster Shop’s Thanksgiving buffet, happily eating my dinner as I nursed my son.

I have found Tacoma to be quite receptive to me as a nursing mother.

Never once have I been asked not to nurse my baby, and in fact I’ve often been encouraged by people who’ve seen me discreetly nursing.

Honestly, I wish even more people would take a minute to give a nursing mother some words of encouragement. I believe it’s deserved just as any other working person is given words of encouragement when they do well in the workplace.



click to read more...

No comments: