Friday, July 21, 2006

Breast-feeding: Nutrition straight from the source (Columbian.com)

Well before I had my baby, I read all about breast-feeding. As the government wraps up a public-health campaign to encourage breast-feeding, still more research mounts on how much the practice benefits babies and mothers.

The latest: A study published this month in the journal Pediatrics indicates that breast-fed children later have lower bed-wetting rates. Other studies show that breast-feeding decreases the incidence of colds, infections, asthma, leukemia, lymphoma, obesity and diabetes. Breast-feeding is good for mothers, too. It burns an extra 500 calories a day to help shed pregnancy pounds, and lowers rates of ovarian and breast cancer, diabetes and osteoporosis.

When I pulled my squalling just-born infant to me for the first time, I quickly realized that knowing all that didn't help me much when it came to the actual practice of breast-feeding.



click to read more...

No comments: