Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Mother in plea for breastfeeding law

A woman who was stopped from breastfeeding her baby while touring Hampton Court Palace has called for the law to be changed to prevent harassment of new mothers.

Margaret Mikkelsen, 30, said England should follow the example of Scotland which introduced a law last November making it a criminal offence to deliberately obstruct breast or bottle feeding in a public place where children are allowed.

She was on a tour of the palace in south-west London with her family and relatives, who were visiting from the US, when her six-month-old daughter, Stella Faulkner, became hungry.

She sat down and was feeding the child discreetly when a female warder came over and directed her to the mother-and-baby room. "She suggested quite strongly that I should move. I didn't want to leave the tour and my family so I had sat down where I was so I could catch up with them quickly."



click to read more....

No comments: