Monday, June 06, 2005

Breastfeeding toddler elicits meddling from others

Never have I encountered so much meddling as when people discover I'm still nursing a child who's got eight teeth, a head full of hair and the ability to string sentences.

By their appalled reactions, one might assume I was putting a teenager to breast, not a 20-month-old toddler.

A couple of months ago, I was in a department store restroom, discreetly nursing so that shopping could continue in relative peace. A woman walked in and stared with disdain.

"How old is that child?" she snapped as she placed her parcels on the counter.

"She's in middle school," I lied, kissing the top of my tot's head. The woman made some muffled comment just as the water came rushing from the faucet.

click to read more....

No comments: