Friday, November 18, 2005

We are coming out of the closet (The Globe and Mail)

Breast is best, according to the Canadian Paediatric Society. So when my son was born on March 2, I embraced the advice of my pediatrician. About two minutes after his birth, I began breastfeeding. However, I would soon find out that good medical advice does not always match up with common social practices.

It was a bit awkward at first. I'm not an exhibitionist by nature. But the benefits of breast milk were a good incentive: strengthened immunity against infections and allergies, optimal brain development and guaranteed creature comfort for newborns, just to name a few. And I, too, wanted to enjoy the health benefits: breastfeeding meant that my uterus contracted back to size quickly after birth and that I would have better protection against breast cancer, a disease that my mother has had to fight off.

Breastfeeding is a personal choice and I'm not judgmental about it: It's a mother's prerogative whether or not to do it, and sometimes it's just not possible. In my case, my milk came in and I decided to breastfeed -- embarking on the second greatest challenge of motherhood, after childbirth.



click to read more...

No comments: