Friday, October 14, 2005

Why buy the cow, when you can get the milk for free? : Breastfeeding awareness should be aimed not only at moms, but at general public (Durham Region

"Don't you want to go somewhere else to do that?"

"I don't want my child to see that!"

"That's disgusting!"

"That child is too old for that. Get him on a bottle!"

There's a random sample of comments made to me by complete strangers in the 11-plus months that I nursed my son, now 3-and-a-half, and the 14-plus months I nursed my daughter, now 2.

Last week was World Breastfeeding Week, and in celebration, the Durham Region Health Department ran an absolutely fantastic ad in our papers, showing a neck-to-waste picture of a woman in an evening gown.

"They weren't put there just to hold up a strapless dress," read the caption. The ad went on to state that breastmilk is the only food a baby needs in the first six months.

This ad is terrific for a number of reasons. First, what draws people in like cleavage? Second, my experience says it's often those most fascinated with cleavage who have the most adverse reaction to seeing a woman nursing in public.



click to read more...

No comments: